Getting rid of a tree stump can can be a back breaking job. But I’ve come across a product that makes it a lot easier. The solution is called Stump Out, made by Bonide.
It works by speeding up the decomposition process, making the wood soft and porous so it can then be either chopped apart easily, or burned efficiently. Stump Out destroys the lignin connective tissue in the wood
Here’s how it works.
Drill holes into the stump according to the instructions and fill with the Stump out and water.
Let the Stump Out do its work for 4-6 weeks, softening and decomposing the wood.
Now you have 3 choices.
- Let nature take its course, decomposing the stump more quickly than an untreated one.
- Chop up the now porous, softened wood.
- Burn the stump cleanly and efficiently, with no flame, and no billows of smoke.
To burn your stump:
- Fill the holes with kerosene, and let that stand for several weeks to soak through the wood.
- When ready to burn, put enough kerosene on the stump to ignite it.
The stump will burn with nothing but a red glow as it burns right down to the roots. It works so thoroughly, you’ll have nothing left but ash.
So if you have a stump you’ve been dodging with the mower, or disguising with flowerpots, try Bonide Stump Out this fall.